It's not just tumbles and falls that you need to protect your workers against

It is essential for most employers in every state and territory in Australia to have Workers Compensation Insurance.

Workers’ compensation insurance protects your business from financial costs when Injured workers suffering from a work-related injury or sickness may possibly be eligible to receive reimbursement for lost wages, reasonable medical treatment and return to work assistance.

There are often exclusions and conditions which apply, so contact an Avoca Insurance Broker to discuss your specific insurance needs.


Frequently Asked Questions

Workers’ compensation law states that employers must have workers’ compensation coverage for anyone who is defined in the legislation as a ‘worker’ regardless of their age.

Definition of a worker

The legislation provides a very broad definition of a ‘worker’.

It covers:

  • Full-time workers on a wage or salary
  • Part-time, casual and seasonal workers
  • Workers on commission
  • Piece workers
  • Working directors (companies now have an option as to whether working directors who have some ownership of the company and are ‘workers’ under the act are to be insured)
  • Contractors and sub-contractors may also be defined as ‘workers’, depending on the circumstances of their working arrangement.

Generally, individual workers cannot cover themselves for workers’ compensation, even if they are self-employed and have an ABN. 

***An exception is when an individual is a working director of a company and then it is optional whether they choose to be covered for workers’ compensation insurance.

If you are the injured worker, immediately report the injury to your employer.

See a doctor to get a First Certificate of Capacity, then complete a Workers’ Compensation Claim Form. Give a copy of each to your employer.

Your employer can then contact us to lodge a claim for you.

The insurer will then decide if your claim is accepted, disputed or on hold pending further information.