NDIS Support workers and disability carers provide essential care for clients to achieve a content lifestyle but it comes with risks too

The NDIS is the first national disability insurance scheme in Australia. It offers funding directly to people with disabilities so they can access the support and services provided by NDIS registered providers.

National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) Support Workers need to be aware of risks and protect themselves against risks they face each time they go to work.

You are providing care to your clients and may be helping them with daily routines such as shopping, community activities etc.

About 4.3 million people in Australia have a disability. Over the next 5 years, the NDIS will provide over $22 billion in annual funding to more than 500,000 Australians with permanent and significant disabilities. Many of these people will receive disability support for the first time in their lives. Since the rollout of the NDIS scheme in 2016, more and more NDIS workers are seeing coverage for their activities.

Under the NDIS Terms of Business for Registered Providers (2017), participants are required to maintain an adequate level of insurance including Public Liability insurance and Professional Indemnity insurance.


Professional Indemnity - Cover against legal liability arising out of the performance of your professional services or duties. Examples may include claims arising out of advice given by you in a counselling session, or with respect to respite/health care, or education and advice you provided on the installation of home modification and maintenance.


Public and Products Liability - Cover for your legal liability for claims pursued by third parties alleging injury or property damage was sustained as a result of your organisation's activities. This policy can help ensure that you, your employees and your volunteers are protected in the event of a claim. 

For example, you could overlook a spill on the floor causing someone to slip or tumble while in your care.

Providing insurance to those who care for the Aged and people with Disabilities such as:

  • Residential Aged Care Facilities 
  • Serviced Apartments and Assisted Living
  • Facility Respite Care and Convalescing Care
  • Residential Supported Living Facilities
  • Retirement living and Independent living units
  • Day Care Centres for the Aged and/ or Disabled
  • Domestic Assistance/ Personal Care
  • At Home Nursing Care
  • At Home Respite Care 
  • Transport and Social Support
  • Home Maintenance, Modifications for the Aged and Disabled
  • Meals and other Food Services
  • Aged and Disability Services Eligibility Assessment 
  • RTO specialising in Home Care or Aged Care 
  • Consultants to the Care Industry 
  • Palliative Care

We can recommend products that will offer NDIS workers the reassurance that they will be looked after in the event of a claim.

Have any questions? Call for a quick chat!

Frequently Asked Questions

At the very least, NDIS support worker should have Public Liability and Professional Indemnity insurance to safeguard and protect you while you help your clients

Additional cover like Personal Accident Insurance or Motor Insurance is not obligatory.