Accidents can be costly

The ability to go everywhere and do everything without your car can restrict your independence and self-reliance.

It is essential to get yourself a good car insurance provider, in case your vehicle suffers unforeseen damage or in the event it is written off.

Let’s face it, accidents can be costly and repairs can be time consuming, but the right car insurance will help you pay for the costs, perhaps provide a hire vehicle till your repairs are completed or even replace a lost or stolen vehicle.

There are often exclusions, deductibles, limits and optional covers which apply, so contact an Avoca Insurance Broker to discuss your specific insurance needs.


Frequently Asked Questions

After you become involved in an accident, contact your broker right away with details of your accident. 

Be sure to provide as much information to your insurer as possible, including:

  • The details of any other person who is involved in the accident. These details include their 
    • Full Name
    • Drivers Licence Number
    • Full Residential Address 
    • Contact Number
  • If applicable, the details of the other driver’s car or property (i.e. their registration number and their car’s make, model, and colour).
  • The other driver’s insurance details.
  • Any witnesses’ contact details. If there are witnesses, they may be able to help substantiate your claim.
  • A detailed account of the accident, including the date, time, and nature of the damage. If you can, provide any photographic evidence and police reports to your insurer as well.

If your broker requires more information, they’ll contact you and keep you updated until a decision is made and your claim is finalised.

If you were in an accident and it wasn't your fault, you may be able to get your excess back. 

Contact your insurer and ask about adding your child to your car insurance policy before they take to the road. 

If they drive your car, become involved in an accident, and aren’t listed on your policy as a regular driver, you could be hit with an unlisted driver excess on top of your excess if they are at fault.

Also, ensure you don’t have a driver age restriction in force on your policy. If you have declared that no drivers under the age of 25, for example, would drive your car and your child is 18, your claim could be rejected if they are involved in an accident.

Usually an insurer will impose a higher excess for any child under the age of 21-25 who drives the vehicle.

You may or may not be covered for aftermarket parts or vehicle modifications, so it’s vital you check with your insurer to be clear of any limitations or exclusions in your policy. If you have already modified your car in any way, be sure to notify your insurer today, so you can learn whether or not your current policy is suitable for your needs.


It’s possible that if you haven’t declared any aftermarket parts to your insurer, you may not be covered if you make a claim.

For instance, if you added a custom bumper to your car, didn’t notify your insurer, and you were involved in an accident, it’s possible your insurer could deny your claim to fix any damage to the bumper.

Agreed Value is the amount you and the insurer agree to insure your car for, for one period of insurance. The agreed value is shown on your Certificate of Insurance. 

If you choose to insure your car for Market Value, the insurer will determine the market value of your car right before the claimed incident. 

They use known industry guides to do this, and consider factors of the vehicle such as make, model, age, kilometres travelled, accessories and modifications fitted as well as its overall condition. 

Comprehensive Car Insurance insures your vehicle against accidental loss or damage in events such as accidents, theft, vandalism, fire, hail, storm, or flood damage. Plus it can cover your vehicle for the damage caused to another person’s vehicle or property while using your vehicle.

Compulsory Third Party (CTP) Insurance generally covers the driver of your vehicle for injuries they may have caused to other road users in a motor accident.

Third Party Property Damage generally can cover your vehicle for damage cause to someone else’s vehicle or property while using your vehicle but doesn’t cover for damage to your vehicle.