If winter 2022 turns out to be an unusually wet one, here are some tips that may help you safeguard your property and keep your home, rentals and business operations running, whatever the weather.
- Pay a licensed and certified professional to inspect the roof of your premises to check for leaks or loose tiles and attend to any recommended maintenance promptly.
- Keep your gutters, drains and downpipes clear
- Trim overhanging and loose branches from around your property
- Securing pergolas and fences that could take flight in heavy winds
- Check the seals on the external doors of your premises are watertight.
- Identify the safest place in the building to shelter, in the event of a storm.
- Prepare an emergency kit containing protective clothing, water, food, torches, a radio and spare batteries and ensure all employees know where it is stored.
- Learn where your main power, water and gas supplies are located and how to turn them off.
- If you have any pending repairs from past claims, get them repaired as soon as possible to avoid any future claims being payable.
Each type of insurance covers different losses. Understanding how your policy would react to damage before it happens could help you recognise possible gaps in coverage.
Insurance claims for water damage spike in winter as heavy rain, hail, storms and flooding follow.
Contact us today if you’d like to review your policy’s storm and flood provisions.